First Elementary School at Rover was built on land purchased from Frank Jackson in 1911. It and the high school were destroyed by fire in 1924. Elementary classes were held at the Methodist Church until a new school was built on the same site. First Elementary School closed in 1947 by consolidation. The building is being renovated by Wendell Rowland and located across highway from Carlton's Store.
Rover High School was established in 1919 and classrooms were added to the Elementary School. "Students, who lived at a distance, came in buggies; and some walked from Unionville, and beyond. A well-rounded curriculum was offered and students participated in Interscholastic Basketball, playing teams as far away as Ashland City." The school burned in 1924 and the term was completed at the Baptist Church. Unionville School was established by then and students began attending there.
Haynes School, named for Joseph Tillman Haynes, was a complete school, which burned about 1929. Haynes School was rebuilt at Walnut Grove, on land now belonging to Fount and Gladys Farris, and became Walnut Grove School.
Walnut Grove closed in 1946 due to lack of attendance and students were transported to Unionville School. The building was later moved to Midland Road where it is still located today.
There was a black school established on Putnam Well Road. Check back for more on this school as details become available.
Taylor's Cross-Roads-Coopertown was located where the Taylor road crossed the Longview Road. Closed about 1925 and the building was used as a store. The store is still standing. A new school was built in 1927 and closed in 1942 with the students transported to Unionville. The building was moved to Longview School.
Poplar Grove-Vernon's Corner was a black school first built in 1895 beside the Poplar Grove Church where the Poplar Grove Cemetery is today. After the church burned and was rebuilt, the school was moved next to the church on Kingdom Road where it still stands.
Cedar Grove was located between two churches. This school was one of the first in the county to have a hot lunch program sponsored by the government and the community. It closed in 1945
Jarrell School was organized in 1917 before there were any high schools in the north end of Bedford County. It burned and was rebuilt in 1919. Some students were boarders and some were day students. It offered a full program of studies in grades 1 through 12, including music, expression, plain and solid geometry, French and Latin. Miss Cora Jarrell not only taught at the school, but she would go around the community teaching oil painting classes as well. The building was still there in 1940.