John Carson Windrow was born July 9, 1860 and died May 18, 1944. He is buried in Triune Cemetery in Williamson Co. TN. He married Sarah Elizabeth Glenn who was born April 1865 and died in 1957. She was the daughter of Richard Cheatham and Sara Frances McCord Glenn. Soon after their marriage 1884, John purchased 166 acres from John Haley near the Rocky Glade Community now known as John Windrow Road. Included in the land purchase was a large unique two-story house built almost entirely of huge red cedar and poplar logs. The house was built before the war between the states. (It is possible that it was build several years before the start of the war. The rooms measured 18 feet by 20 feet and ceilings were 10 feet hight. Large hallways separated each room in the house including the upstairs rooms. John and Betty lived out their lives in this house and raised 8 children.
The Windrow House
Betty Blue Windrow is pictured beside the house
in a Tom Thumb Wedding at College Grove School.
The place stayed in the Windrow family until it was sold in 1986.
The house remained vacant until 1992 when it burned supposedly by vandals.
The Old Windrow Place
John Carson, one of four sons of Travis Windrow (born Jan. 31, 1809 and died Jan. 21, 1874) and Catherine Pate Windrow (born Oct. 20, 1834 and died Oct. 4, 1903). He grew up in the Windrow Campground Community in the 12th district of Rutherford County. This community acquired its name from Travis Windrow's father, John Windrow who was born in 1772 in Virginia and died in 1851 in Rutherford Co. Tennesseee. In 1812, John gave 4 acres of land to be used as a meeting place for many Methodist camp meetings. John allowed his pasture to grow for the use of the horses, and grew large fields of cabbage for the use of the people. People from near and far away attended and some of the best preachers in the area conducted services. Sarah Elizabeth Glenn grew up in Possum Trot, which was later called the Patterson Community in the 10th District of Rutherford County. John and Betty were determined to see that all eight children had an education. The children rode a horse-drawn school wagon to the Simmons School at Rocky Glade and later to Eagleville School. In the winter when the weather was bad, Betty and the boys stayed in a boarding house on Highway 99 in Eagleville in order to be within walking distance of the school. John Carson Windrow served on the school board in the early 1900's.
Four of the five sons of John and Bet, as she was called, Windrow became school teachers and later school principals. Each of the five sons married school teachers. Most of the grandchildren taught school at times and some made teaching a lifetime career. John and Bet and all 8 children and their spouses and several grandchildren are all buried in the same family plot at Triune Methodist Church Cemetery.
Children of John Carson and Betty Glenn Windrow were Margaret May Windrow , Sarah Catherine "Kate" Windrow, Cora Virginia "Cora V." or "Sis" Windrow, Richard Travis Windrow, John Edwin Windrow, Robert Leland "Blue" Windrow, James Horace Windrow, and Ernest Howard "Sut" Windrow.
More links on the children will be added later.